Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Here we go again!

Spent the day packing and left for the airport in Detroit for my 5:55pm flight.

I packed a lot of extra items and forgot Spirit's baggage limit was 40 pounds, not 50 pounds.  Baggage weighed 64 pounds.  Ugh.  I told the guy at the counter half my bag was to give away to the Haitians.  Still paid full price.

Arrived in Fort Lauderdale and took shuttle to hotel because I had to stay overnight.  While in the shuttle, Haiti called and I started talking to Laurel in a few creole phrases.  The driver said "What?! She knows creole?!" outloud... to himself.  When I got off the phone he told me he is Haitian and his dad still lives in PAP.  From what I could gather he likes nothing, I mean nothing about Haiti.

Got to hotel and he helped me with a short list I had made of words I wanted to know.  Another guy cleaning the lobby was so surprised too, he kept saying "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. You speak creole."  I really don't, but I like that they understand.  They were the first people I have spoken to in the US in creole.

Comfy bed, but I hardly got any sleep.  Up early.  I was so tired, but was worried about missing my flight.  Got up during the night to set a second alarm, then a third, got up later to double check the alarms.

At the airport I got this weird craving for milk.  I never drink it in Haiti.  It's warm, ewwy.  I found a Dunkin Donuts and bought a chocolate milk - so good!

Boarded, took off from gate, back to gate so maintenance could look at an air conditioning problem.  All checked bags had to come off the plane for them to investigate the problem, then put them back on.  Almost 2 hours later we left.

Arrived into PAP easily.  I was practicing my creole phrase "I don't need your help" that the Haitian at the hotel taught me.  It worked to the six people who wanted to help me carry my bags for money.  Last time they asked me for $20 US for pushing a cart the length of a basketball court.  This isn't my first trip, boys!

Greeted by Pastor Rod, Laurel, and translator Whitler. Yay!  This is a dream team of people who could have picked me up.  I am overjoyed to be with them.Drove back toward their place in Font Parisian.  Saw Pastor Rod's son, Chris, at the gas station on the way.  He has committed to staying in Haiti all of next year.  Drove further to find Eve Rose (lady who runs an orphanage they work with) broken down on the side of the road in a taptap (taxi) full of medical supplies for a cholera clinic.  We picked her and the supplies up and went to Bill's to drop it off.
Laurel on the Taptap (taxi).
To Victory Compassion's compound (VC) with a warm greeting!  I was so excited to see Mary, the Hoffman family, Cassandra, Nick, and the team that is here from the US.

Macaroni and Cheese for lunch about 3pm.  Kidz Club at 4pm, then back to VC for dinner. Kidz Club is a program that VC does in different communities for an hour after school.  It's like story time with singing and a good message.  During dinner, I talked more with the team - they want to build a playground at an orphange, but it is stuck in a container in customs.  I know customs here and that thing isn't coming out for awhile thanks to the Haitian government.

Laurel and I spent lots of time catching up tonight.  We definitely see eye to eye on so much and understand each other.  It's great having an ally here where I feel she won't judge me on my hard days and to know we can keep in touch when she is home in Indiana.

Shower and bed.  I'm staying in Mary's trailer with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment