Wednesday, October 19, 2011

New Fencing

Up at 5:30am, out by 6.

I've been having a tough time today. One thing I didn't report on yesterday was something we saw on the drive back from Cori (co-rye). On the side of the road we saw a woman just laying there. She was lifeless and alone. No one was around or even nearby. We were following Alain's driver and weren't sure what to do. What do you do? In the States you stop and call 911. Its not the same in Haiti.  I keep thinking of all the other people who drove by and didn't stop.  It was on a main road and out in the country. No hospital nearby, no translator with us. If she is dead, you aren't allowed to move her anyways until the "official" person comes and pronounces that she is in fact dead.  If she is alive and we put her in our car, then she dies on the way to the hospital, they blame us for her death.  At the hospital way in town, they might not even help her.  Don't get me started on this healthcare system.  I know the right thing to do was to stop, but we didn't and now I can't go back.

Open road where we were driving.
Picked up our translator, Jose' past the village in La Trembly.  He lives right next to the taptap (Haitian taxi) accident we saw the other day.  Jose' was there when the accident happened, so he could give us an eye witness account.  Apparently a big truck from the DR hit a taptap from behind going dangerously fast.  The taptap flipped over killing 3 people and injuring many others.  The driver and another man got out of their truck but they are Dominican and the people from the community were very mad.  One man swung his machete and sliced the drivers throat!  Fortunately, an older man from the community came and rescued the Dominicans, taking them to his home until the anger died down.

Arrived at the garden to find everyone working.  This is good!  The Paraguayans arrived a few minutes later.  They will be helping us by fixing the fencing.  The Paraguayans had completed the work, but people from the community let their animals inside and that destroyed the fencing.  Today they are moving the fencing so the well is on the outside.

The people gathered, mostly to watch the Paraguayans work and their fellow villagers who are preparing the land for planting... again.

Kendra and Omar walked to the village and were gone for quite some time, so Jose' and I went looking for them after awhile.

Back at the village, we saw our old security guard, Eduard hanging with the villagers. School was in session for the kids. Walked toward HELP to find Kendra and Omar hanging out with the Peru and Japanese UN militaries. Both companies are helping to demolish and provide security for the HELP hospital. The Japanese were enlisted to help us cut the additional metal poles we need for our fencing. The Japanese taught me how to say thank you in Japanese ありがとう, pronounced "airy-got-ou".

Back to the land, then into town to buy re-rod to put in the poles with cement so they last longer. Everything you do ends up taking twice as much time in Haiti, so while Jose' and Omar waited at the hardware store for the people to finish cutting the re-rod every two feet (by hand), Kendra and I went back to the village to drop off the first batch.

Lots of people keep telling me how hungry their babies are. We had decided earlier that we would give them some leftovers from Kendra's last trip since they are working today with the Paraguayans. Unfortunately, the food wasn't in the house so we gave them food we had to distribute later, now. Spaghetti with tomato sauce and cans of sardines. That's what they usually eat for breakfast, not for lunch. They were so happy about the food that it made me wonder again how much they really eat. For all the time I've spent at the village, Ive only seen them make and eat what we give for the most part. I wonder if that means they hid it from each other too. Since school is in session at our village, all the students are given one meal and one snack a day during their class. This is great for the kids in our village who are in school. For the adults and kids who are not, it can't be easy to watch the kids eat. Wilnise Fayette is taking the cooking responsibility since shecwas the last perso to complain to me about food.

Back to the hardware store to pick up the boys, then to Pastor Abne's house to talk with him. It was so nice to see him!  He is such a sweet, kind hearted Pastor.  Pastor Abne showed us his garden, then we took him to the land.  All the things that he thought would be to ProHuerta's standards are now in place, including the well and proper fencing.  (The Paragauayan's just finished!)

Dropped him off and back to the land we went.  IOM Shelter was driving by so Kendra flagged them down and had them visit our village.  She talked with them while a few Moms showed me skin problems on their babies' bodies.

Pastor came over and wanted to show me his small garden on the perimeter of the village.  Melons, beans, etc.  I thought he just wanted to show me, but instead picked a big one and gave it to me!  It was a kind gesture.  I really connected to these people!

Kendra was still talking with the IOM Shelter guys, so Omar and I went to pick up Pastor Regis, a friend of Kendra's who lives in LaTrembly 4.  We are having him visit the village because we feel like he may be a good fit to be a community organizer while we aren't in the country.  Pastor Regis is a good man and would act as an on-site extension of us.

Kendra gave him a tour, then we all looked through the medicines I left with our Pastor in the village during my last trip.  We were looking for special soap for the babies with skin problems.

The President wanted to talk to us about his "concerns".  He and Kendra went back and forth through Pastor Regis, everyone got a little riled up.  We ended in prayer.

I'm not sure the President's "concerns" match up with the people's.  I decided I am going to start calling him by his name, Richard instead of President.  His leadership came built in with the group, but he needs grooming.

The kids of the village sure know how to make things bright again.  They wanted their pictures taken!  (Some adults too.)  I'll take a picture, then they will run over to see how they look.  Usually lots of laughs follow.

Back to house, Ramen Noodles for dinner.  Omar said they put lime juice in their soup.  I tried it and it was good.  Bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment